This Laboratory Course is aimed to provide basic understanding and evaluation aspects in the domain of fuels used for transportation, industrial, and other sectors. Practical learning will be provided on the understanding of physical and chemical properties of various liquid and gaseous fuels and its assessment with the help of various instruments in the lab. Experiments related to the application of fuels in transportation sector is also included. Students will get hands on experience to handle the various instruments and equipment such as viscometer, calorimeter, flash and fire point apparatus, engine etc.
- Understand the fundamentals and relevance of hydrocarbon fuels in the broader context of engineering sciences
- To be able to use the evaluation concepts and methods of fuels for transportation, industrial and other sectors.
- To empower students with the expertise of experimentation and the fundamental concepts that are required to translate a novel engineering idea to reality by testing and evaluating the liquid and gaseous fuels.
- To expose students to a wide variety of research areas and concerns in regard to fuels for energy production.
- Determination of density and viscosity of various fuels at different temperatures.
- Determination of higher and lower calorific value of liquid fuels like Euro-VI Petrol / Diesel / Biodiesel / Ethanol / Pyro-oil / Plasto petrol.
- Determination of higher and lower calorific value of gaseous fuels like CNG, LPG, and Pyro-gas.
- Determination of cloud point and pour point of various liquid fuels used in transportation/industrial sector.
- Determination of flash and fire point of various hydrocarbon liquid fuels used in transportation/industrial segment.
- Performance and emissions measurement of fuels employed in spark ignition engines.
- Performance and emissions measurement of fuels employed in compression ignition engines.
- Determination of chemical compounds in liquid hydrocarbon fuels used in transportation.
- Determination of chemical compounds in gaseous hydrocarbon fuels used in transportation.
- Determination of percentages of Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, sulfer, and oxygen in liquid fuels/ organic compounds.